Can Water Damage Make You Sick?

Table of Contents

How Likely Is Mold After Water Damage?

It is an unfortunate reality that untreated water damage will inevitably lead to the growth of mold. This is something that can occur quickly if water damage is not addressed by professional water damage restoration professionals. If your home or business property has experienced water damage as a result of plumbing issues, overflows from the toilet, or flooding, it is important to act quickly by bringing in water damage restoration professionals to access the situation and take the necessary steps to deal with the problem. Failure to do so will inevitably lead to the growth and the spread of mold in your property. The health consequences of mold exposure can be significant and so it is important to deal with water damage before mold becomes a serious problem across your property.

Can Water Damage Make You Sick?

The question of can water damage make you sick is one that is commonly asked by many homeowners that have experienced this issue. While it is true that the actual water damage itself will not cause illness, many of the factors associated with it can cause serious health issues. The first point to consider is the fact that the water that causes property damage is often contaminated with biological agents such as bacteria and other dangerous microbes. This poses a health risk to those that are exposed to these factors. Another major health risk associated with water damage is mold. It is an issue that commonly accompanies water damage, and it can lead to major health issues for those that are exposed to it. With these points in mind, we have put together some important information that property owners need to know about how water damage can affect their health.

Can Mold From Water Damage Make You Sick?

The growth of mold is one of the most common consequences associated with water damage. Mold can cause a lot of different issues at your property. It can lead to physical damage to the surfaces of your home or business and it is also unattractive to look at. Beyond these factors, the mold that results from water damage can also make you and your family sick from exposure to it.

Coming into physical contact with mold and the inhalation of mold spores can lead to allergic reactions such as skin rashes, sneezing, irritated eyes, and a runny nose. It is a particularly serious issue for those who have mold allergies. The presence of mold is also a serious health concern for individuals that suffer from asthma. Breathing in mold spores can end up leading to an asthma attack. Beyond this, children and the elderly are particularly susceptible to the negative health effects of mold. Individuals that suffer from chronic lung disease or have compromised immune systems are also at risk when mold has become an issue because of water damage. 

These factors all help to emphasize the importance of quickly bringing in the services of water damage restoration and mold remediation professionals after any type of flooding or other types of water damage has occurred.

How Long Does It Take to Get Sick From Mold Exposure?

The symptoms of mold exposure are similar to those associated with the common cold and the flu. It is important to get an expert diagnosis from your doctor if you fear that you have been exposed to mold as a result of water damage at your property. The length of time that it will take you to become sick from mold exposure depends on the level of exposure that you have been subjected to.

Mild Mold Exposure – For those individuals who have strong immune function or do not suffer from mold allergies, it can take longer to recognize the symptoms of exposure. Mild exposure often occurs when engaging in activities where one comes into contact with smaller amounts of hidden mold. For those that are relatively resistant to the effects of mold exposure, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours before any symptoms begin to manifest. Individuals that are sensitive to the effects of mold will often begin to show symptoms of exposure as soon as they come into contact with it.

Long-Term Mold Exposure – Long-term or severe mold exposure occurs when an individual is continually coming into contact with mold spores. This issue goes back to the question of can water damage make you sick because long term exposure is often the result of mold growth that is caused by water damage at your home or commercial property. Individuals who are regularly exposed to mold will often have symptoms such as trouble breathing and fever. This is particularly problematic for those individuals that have compromised immune systems and compromised lungs. Mold that is the result of water damage will continue to spread if it is not addressed by water damage restoration professionals that can perform mold remediation.

How Do You Treat Mold From Water Damage?

Treating mold that is the result of water damage is something that should be addressed by highly trained and experienced water damage restoration professionals. If you are experiencing mold that has resulted from water damage, you can rely on our professionals here at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Restoration Services to provide you with expert mold remediation services. We have years of experience in the field and we have the necessary skills and equipment that are required to help you return your property back to normal. Working with our team of professionals is the best way to be proactive when water damage occurs. We can take quick and effective actions that will help to ensure that mold is not able to spread across your property. Our team is dedicated to providing expertly delivered customer service and we take a great deal of pride in being able to help our customers to repair the water damage that has occurred at their properties.

You can reach our team by calling (859) 309-9964 or you can send us a message through our contact page. We are ready to get to work providing you with water damage restoration and mold remediation services that will make a big difference for you and your property. Reach out to our team today!