How to Clean a Flooded Basement
Regardless of how the situation occurred, a flooded basement is one of those things that no property owner wants to find them self stuck dealing with. Basement flooding can be the result of natural floodwaters or it can result from problems such as foundation leaks, plumbing leaks, or sewer leaks. Regardless of the cause of the flooding, this is an issue that needs to be addressed quickly to minimize the damage.
When you do find yourself dealing with a flooded basement, knowing what steps to take is important. The following information is designed to show you how to clean a flooded basement. A quick response is important and it is for this reason that it is in your best interest to avail of our flood damage restoration professionals here at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Damage Restoration Services. Our experienced service personnel can quickly respond to your location the assist you in dealing with the cleanup of a flooded basement.
Table of Contents
How Do I Clean a Flooded Basement?
There are several key steps that must be taken when you start the cleanup process for a flooded basement. The first thing that you need to consider before doing anything is the source of the floodwater. Many floodwater sources are going to represent a serious health hazard which means that your property will need to be evacuated so that the situation can be assessed.
Any flooding that comes from natural sources or sources such as sewer backups is going to be classified as black water. This means that it is going to contain harmful pathogens. These pathogens can include viruses, parasites, bacteria, and E.coli, among other disease-causing agents. A basement that has been flooded by black water should only be entered by trained water damage professionals who possess the right safety equipment to enter back into the flooded area. The key takeaway here is that many types of flooding in your basement should be addressed from the start by trained professionals. Beyond this, there are some key steps that need to be taken so that the cleanup process can begin. These steps include:
- Shut Off the Water Source – If possible, you need to quickly ensure that the water source that has caused the basement flooding is shut off.
- The Standing Water Must Be Removed – Once the inflow of water has been halted, the next step in the cleanup process for basement flooding is to remove the standing water. This is another area where the services of trained flood damage restoration professionals are of vital importance. They will have the necessary equipment and the required expertise to effectively removed all of the standing water from your basement.
- Ventilation Is Key – If you have windows in your basement, it is important to open them up so that the area’s ventilation can be improved. Sufficient ventilation is crucial when it comes to the drying process. The use of dehumidifiers and fans can also be helpful in this process. Equipment such as sump pumps and wet-dry shop vacs can be highly useful for getting the water out. When using any electrical equipment, it is important to verify that your electricity is currently safe to use. It is also important to make sure that you wear rubber boots if you are going to use electrical equipment like this in a flooded basement. Another thing that is important to note is that if a flooded basement has been closed up with poor ventilation in excess of two days, then it is likely that mold will have started to grow. These additional safety and health risks are further reasons to use the services of flood damage professionals for the cleanup process.
- All Wet Items Must Be Removed – At this point it is also important to quickly remove all wet items of property that can be taken out of your basement. From there, you can decide which ones can be effectively cleaned and saved and which ones have been damaged to the point that they need to be discarded.
How Long Does It Take Mold To Form After Water Damage?
Mold is a type of fungus that is easily spread around as it is present in the air. It consumes organic matter and spread by releasing spores into the air. The spores reproduce and release more spores, leading to the fast spread of mold, especially high humidity. The ability of MD to ingest organic matters allows it to survive on any surface. Whether they land on floors, carpets, ceilings, or tiles, mold can thrive. It only takes between 24 to 48 hours for the mold to grow and release spread, which means that within 48 hours, you can have a bigger mold problem if you don’t handle it well. Since the spores attach to people’s clothes, shoes, furniture, and even pets, it’s easy for them to get into your home and difficult to remove the mold.
How Long Does It Take for a Flooded Basement to Dry Out?
One of the most common questions that property owners ask regarding cleanup of a flooded basement is how long it will take to dry things out. The answer to this question will depend on the efficiency with which steps are taken to begin the drying process. Depending on the extent of the flooding and the size of your basement, the drying time can range anywhere from a day to several weeks. Ensuring proper ventilation along with the use of fans and dehumidifiers will greatly assist in the process.
How to Soak Up Water in the Basement
There are steps that can be taken to soak up water in the basement so that the overall process of drying and cleanup can proceed more efficiently. These steps include:
- Make sure to wear rubber gloves before handling any items of property that have been in contact with floodwater.
- The use of a wet-dry vacuum can help to remove water.
- Using thick towels that are laid across the basement floor can help to soak up the water. These towels should be left in place for three to five minutes before being rung out and then put back down again to absorb more water.
Who Should I Call If My Basement Floods?
Contact our flood damage restoration experts today. When basement floods strike at your property, it is time to reach out to our water damage restoration professionals at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Damage Restoration. We are the trusted flood damage professionals that property owners in the Lexington, KY region turn to when they need quick, efficient, and effective basement flood cleanup services that are delivered by customer service-centric water damage restoration personnel. You can reach us by phone at (859) 309-9964 or you can leave us a message so that we can quickly reply back. When flooding hits your basement, you have a trusted service provider that is ready to come to your assistance here at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Damage Restoration Services.