What Are the Health Effects of Floodwater?
It is a concerning enough situation by itself to suffer through a flood at your property. The property damage and the overall disruption to your daily life can be a stressful enough situation by itself. The reality is that though these are major concerns, it is also important to be aware of and have a fundamental understanding of the health effects of floodwater.
The possible health effects that you can suffer from due to a flood can be quite serious and it is for this reason that you must protect yourself. One of the best ways to protect yourself from the health effects of floodwater is to hire our professional flood damage professionals here at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Damage Restoration. We have the kind of knowledge and experience, along with all of the necessary equipment to deal with the flood damage that your property has been subjected to so that you do not have to put yourself at risk of the negative health effects and other dangers that are associated with floodwater.
Table of Contents
The Dangers of Floodwater
As a property owner, it is important for you to be aware of what are the health effects of floodwater. Property damage can occur to your home regardless of whether it was flooded due to a burst pipe, or flooding from a natural source. The problem with flooding from the latter is that it can bring a lot of health dangers along with it.
When your home is flooded by a natural source, there is a high chance that it is contaminated with many different pathogens and harmful organisms. If your home was flooded from a situation such as a sewer backup, then the water is also going to be heavily contaminated in a way that puts your health at risk. This type of water is often referred to as category 3 or black water. It will often be contaminated with pollutants such as bacteria and viruses as well as other harmful agents that can cause disease and health problems. For these, as well as other key safety issues, a home that has been flooded in this manner should first be re-entered by trained water damage restoration professionals.
Our team at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Damage Restoration regularly helps out Lexington, KY property owners when their homes and businesses have been subjected to dangerous category 3 black water. Our highly trained and experienced service personnel have the right equipment and know-how to safely address the health risks posed by floodwaters so that you do not have to put yourself at risk.
How Does Flooding Affect Human Health?
What are the health effects of floodwater? The answer to this question is something that all property owners should make themselves aware of. The variety of health risks that floodwater can pose are truly extensive. These waters can carry with them anything from human and livestock waste to industrial and medical waste. Dangerous debris such as broken glass and sharp metal can also be contained in murky floodwater. All of these factors can compromise your health in various ways. They can cause injury and they can also spread harmful parasites, bacteria, and viruses. Floodwater that is still flowing is also a serious danger as it can pose serious drowning risks. Downed power lines that result from a flood can also pose an electrocution risk. For these various reasons, your property should always be evacuated of all occupants while flooding is ongoing. Re-entry to the property should always be initiated by trained flood damage professionals with the specialized expertise to assess the situation.
What Diseases Can You Get From Floods?
There is a concerning list of diseases that you can end up contracting from floodwater. They include:
- Stomach Problems
- Issues With Skin Rashes
- Wounds That Become Infected
Hiring our flood damage restoration pros at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Damage Restoration is an effective way to protect yourself from exposure to these diseases that can be caused by floodwater. We have worked in this industry for many years and know how to effectively assess floodwater damage as well as knowing how to perform all needed restoration work.
What Do You Do During and After a Flood?
During a Flood
- Be aware of the dangers posed by flash flooding. You should move to higher ground as soon as possible.
- Listen to local television and radio stations to stay updated on the progress of the flood.
- Stay aware of nearby areas that are likely to flood. These include areas such as drainage channels, streams, and canyons.
- Secure your property’s doors and remove any personal property items such as furniture and other essential items to the upper floor of your property if possible. You should also move any outdoor property to a safe location if possible.
After the Flood Is Over
- Stay away from moving water.
- Do not go near any areas that have been damaged by floodwaters.
- Moving water only six inches deep is enough to possibly take you off of your feet. It is important to stay on firm ground.
- Be aware that standing water can be electrically charged if there are downed power lines or compromised underground power lines.
- Stay out of any structure that has become surrounded by floodwater.
- Be aware that there can be many hidden dangers when you enter buildings that have experienced flooding. Factors such as this are a key reason why you should rely on trained professionals during the time when damage is still being assessed.
- Contact our professional flood damage experts at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Damage Restoration so we can assess your situation and perform the needed restoration work.
If your property has been subjected to the property damage, health concerns, and safety issues that come along with flooding, our team at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Damage Restoration is here to help. Give us a call today at (859) 309-9964 or leave a message to find out more about how we can help you to get your property back to normal after flooding has occurred.